Information for Prospective Parents
2012-13 Recruitment Calendar
Open House (All at Kinsella)
Tuesday, December 11, 2012: 10:00 a.m. (Stay for our 9th Grade Drama Showcase at 10:45)
Tuesday, December 18, 2012: 9:00 a.m. (Come see our Winter Music Concert at 9:45.)
Wednesday, January 16, 2013: 10:30 a.m. (Come see our 1st Grade Showcase at 11:30 a.m.)
Wednesday, January 30, 2013: 9:00 a.m. (come see our Performance of The Wizard of Oz Dance Concert the Music of Pink Floyd at 9:45 a.m. )
Wednesday, January 30, 2013: 4:00 p.m. (Stay for our Performance of The Wizard of Oz Dance Concert the music of Pink Floyd)
Shadow a KMSPA Student
Your child can shadow a student in their grade for 1/2 of a day on one of the following dates:
Students entering grades 3-10 ONLY.
Parents MUST make an appointment with Dr. Saperstein
Tuesday, October 23, 2012
Tuesday, November 6, 2012
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
For more information or a tour of KMSPA, please contact Dr. Tracy Saperstein at 860-695-4196.
- Kinsella has led the District with a combined 3 year OSI gain of 32.3
- CMT results for 2009-10 show Kinsella made AYP in Math and AYP Safe
Harbor in Reading with 9.5 OSI points gained this year.
- Based on Hartford Public School’s grid for school improvement.
Kinsella moved to fully autonomous, the highest school.
- DRA May results indicate that an increase from 75%-78% of kindergarteners
were proficient or above; 1st grade in May showed an increase from 40%-65%
proficient and substantially deficient decreased from 20% to 12%. Second
grade demonstrated 68% proficient and only 11% substantially deficient
and 3rd grade increased from 74%-76% proficient and above with only 8%
of students substantially deficient.
- Recipient of the 2010 Magnet Schools of America School of Distinction
- Recipient of $1000.00 Walmart Community Grant.
- Kinsella Received $1000 grant to purchase new instruments.
- $1000 from CREC for interdistrict sister school music exchange program
with West Hartford
- Through the efforts of performances, talent shows and fundraising, over
$5000.00 was raised for other community agencies (Gray Lodge Women’s
Shelter, Haiti Disaster Relief, CCMC Center for blood disorders and oncology
research, as well as others.)
- 4th Grade placed 1st at the Hartford District-wide Science Fair.
- 5th Grade placed 1st at the Hartford District-wide Science Fair.
- 30 Turkey’s donated for the holidays from CL&P.
- Kinsella Choir received Gold at the Great East Festivals in Agawam,
- 5th Grade Band received gold at Fantastics Festival in East Hartford,
- 6th/7th/8th Grade Band received Superior at High Notes Festival in Bristol,
- Performance presentation at CMEA (CT Music Educators’ Association)
statewide conference- Latin Brass.
- 15 students were chosen to participate in a Northeast Utilities safety
video that will be nationally televised.
- 8 students were selected to be models for the 2011 Wenger catalog.
- 14 students were accepted into the Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts
into the major of their choice.
- A 5th grade student was accepted to the University of Hartford Summer
Music program with a full scholarship.
- Artsonia Open Studios (the largest student art museum on the web)
- Over 1200 pieces of published art
- 365 Fan Club Members
- 157 comments made on our student’s art work
- Raised over $40.00 for our school
- Ranked 6th overall in Connecticut for number of pieces of artwork
submitted for publication by Artsonia
- Partnership with Hartford Symphony for Performance
- Partnership with Connecticut Opera
- Urban/Suburban Inter-district Partnership with: Emerson Williams; Weathersfield,
Windham Middle School; Windham, CT, Morley School; West Hartford, CT
- Students performed at the CCSU Dance Extravaganza.
- 5th-8th grade students attended Hartford Symphony’s Beethoven
- 3 students accepted on scholarship for Hartford Stage Musical Theater
- Performed a scene from Once on this Island to the Connecticut
Music Educators Association Conference at CT Convention Center
- Inter-district 65-member band concert with Morley School in West Hartford
with a goal to identify similarities and celebrate differences
- Only school to produce Break Dancing Shakespeare: Comedy of Errors
- Kinsella Choir sang National Anthem at district-wide convocation
- Continued Kinsella traditions:
- 9-11 Remembrance Ceremony
- Martin Luther King Remembrance
- Cultural Heritage Performance
- Kinsella Talent Show
- “STELLA” Academy Awards
- Partnered with internationally renowned Pilobolus
- Members from Hartford Symphony worked with percussion and brass students
in an intensive instrumental lesson.
- Grades 6-8 attended Hartford Symphony’s Martin Luther King’s
- Students produced 2 Musicals; Annie and Into the Woods.
- Six students attended national Thespian Society Conference in Waterbury,
- Nationally renowned storyteller, Tom Lee, worked with all students in
grades K-3 for strategic arts integration.
- 8th grade attended productions at Hartford Stage and participated in
workshops for each show based on each production.
- 7th and 8th grade students attended No Child at Theater Works and participated
in a civic dialogue with the cast.
- Contributed to Daniel Pearl International Days of Music: an international
endeavor to reduce violence.
We currently have students from the following towns.